Friday, December 20, 2019

Grandma's Corn Chowder served with Love


I am fortunate to be born into a family with a mom that cooks and bakes better than ANYONE I know.
She taught us how to bake and cook and some of us were quite resistant to learning... until it came time to feed our own families. ðŸ˜†
But this recipe came from my Grandma— my dad’s mom. I don’t know what it is exactly about it, maybe the memories, maybe that it was always served with Grandma’s love, but we are big fans of Grandma’s Corn Chowder.

I loved it so much that I assumed it was a difficult dish to make and didn’t even attempt it until I was pregnant with my first child at 24 years old.
So every time I make it, which is usually only in the cold months, I tell my children how Grandma showed her love through feeding people. She fed her grandchildren. She fed the missionaries. She fed you even if you stopped by for a quick visit.
I know she’s in heaven smiling down when I pass on what she taught me through her example.

Grandma's Corn Chowder 

Serves 6 to 8.
Preparation and cooking time:  40 minutes

One 12-ounce can Spam, diced
6 to 8 slices of bacon, diced
3 medium-sized potatoes, diced
1 medium-sized onion, diced
6 cups water
One 15-ounce can whole kernel corn
One 15-ounce cream-style corn
One 10 3/4 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
Mashed potato flakes (optional)
One 13-ounce can evaporated milk
Salt and Pepper to taste

1.  Fry bacon until pieces are crisp; drain fat from bacon.  Place bacon on paper towels to continue draining fat until ready to use.  

2.  Sauté Spam as desired; set aside.  

3.  Cook potatoes and onion in water until potatoes are tender and onions are transparent.  

4.  Add undrained corn, cream-style corn, and cream of mushroom soup to potatoes; bring to a boil.  Add mashed potato flakes if you want your soup thicker, a little at a time.  

5.  Stir in evaporated milk; heat through.  Stir in Spam.  Salt and pepper to taste.  

6.  Top with bacon.  Serve at once.  


I have made this with ham.  I've also used store-brand "Spam."  I've also done it with steamed corn leftover and not used cream corn.  Lots of ways to vary this recipe.  Be sure to serve it with love, like Grandma.  

No comments: