Tuesday, February 09, 2010

No more unloading dirty dishes.

Are these dishes clean?  Is this something you say or hear in your home in regards to the load of dishes in the dishwasher?  I know there are magnets like this:
This is a great magnet for your dishwasher if you don't have a gremlin who loves to collect magnets, run around the house and accidentally leave them hiding in obscure places like under your pillow (consequently also leaving crumbs in your bed).

But...


If your dishwasher has a plastic door panel ----> put it on your fridge.
If your dishwasher is plastic and your fridge is too far away ----> just look for the clean or dirty dish clues. 

clues

All the dishes are shiny and the door is clean

If you're a bit fanatical, like myself, and rinse all your dishes, tell yourself and your family you are doing them a favor by checking the door. 

It is so gross to find out you've just put away all the dishes and they were dirty.  I know how to look for the clues.  But I'm not sure if Danny does.  or the kids-- not that any of them are prone to just start putting away clean dishes.  They are likely to reach in and grab a spoon for a cup of applesauce or yogurt though.  Danny brought to my attention that this sounds like he's not prone to putting away dishes-- which is absolutely not the case.  I meant that I'm not sure he knows about the clues of the dirty door.  And I was referring to the kids not putting away dishes. 

So what do I do?  I purposely drip orange juice, cranberry juice, chocolate milk, what have you, on the inside of the dishwasher door while I'm loading dishes.  So, despite the rinsed dishes, you will find a speckled door if they're dirty.  And that works for me! 

Go to Kristin's site to see what works for other people.  This post is also linked with Tuesday's Tips at Couponic Stimulus Package. 






Here are a handful of my previous WFMW posts that still get hits (according to Stat Counter):

19 comments:

Smockity Frocks said...

You stinker! You beat me again!

:)

Anonymous said...

#1!!

And it's a great tip. Thanks!

Kim said...

My house makes it impossible to use a dishwasher without buying an expensive tankless water heater. So I have to hand wash everything. :-(
Oh! I got my socks today in the mail. SUPER DUPER CUTE!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Tubbs Family said...

Great idea!!

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

Ha! I have the opposite problem - my daughter loading dirty dishes into a dishwasher of clean dishes (and, of course, forgetting which ones she put in!)

I totally check the door, too. And see if there's water on the bottoms of the glasses.

tina said...

That's pretty much how it is at our house - always check the door. In reality the dishes that are in the dishwasher are always clean. We run it as soon as we put dirty ones in and leave them there long enough for the sink to fill up again, so unload and reload, wash happen all together. I don't think that's ideal, I don't like to have dirty dishes, but it is what it is! :)

Shelby said...

Great tip! I always go to unload the dishwasher only to pull out a glass with a disgusting layer of milk--uh, guess they were dirty! I'll definitely put this one into practice.

Lori Yoder said...

Great tip! Our dishwasher does have a light, but there are times when hubby opens the door and shuts is again and I just.can't.tell!!!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Hitting myself in the head! Now why didn't I think of that before I bought a magnet. LOL! Great tip!

Lori Yoder said...

BTW I'd love it if you'd link up to my Tuesday's Tips Linky too. That's a great tip! http://couponomicstimuluspackage.blogspot.com/2010/02/tuesdays-tip-how-to-get-out-of-debt.html

Kelly Miller said...

We have one of those clean/dirty magnets but I always forget to use it. I load the dishwasher and my son unloads. He knows they are clean by yelling, "Mama! Are these dishes clean?!" Every single evening. They are always clean by that time, but why mess with a routine? I think the clean-door tip is fabulous!

Niki Jolene said...

I love it! Pure genius!

:)

feywriter said...

I wish this worked for mine. We have a portable dishwasher. Sadly, the door will collect gunk. Cream of wheat specks, grease, herbs. Yuck. Going to buy a good, non-portable one with tax refund this year.

Ms. Leigh said...

I don't rinse my dishes, so I don't need to purposefully get my door dirty. I do, however, look there to see if the dishes are clean. :-)

Jenny said...

I don't do our dishes. I make the hubby do them xD

Jami said...

Interesting idea. I might have to use Tomato sauce so it will be BRIGHT RED and really obvious! Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

While I don't purposefully "spill" stuff on the inner door of my dishwasher that is one way I tell that the dishes did get washed.

Great tip, it works for me as well =)

Anonymous said...

I always leave a cup in the dishwasher right side up. If there is water in cup dishes are clean. No water in cup dishes are dirty.

Nikki said...

Anonymous- That is an AWESOME tip.