Sunday, August 07, 2016

What I've learned potty training 8 kids

One of my dearest friends is potty training her son and frustrated because, well, potty training is hard and he's not on board with this game.  

People ask me all the time about potty training because I have eight kids.  I don't blame them.  I asked moms of many for their advice when I went through it with my oldest.  

***I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  ALL ADVICE OFFERED IS FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE. ***

What I've learned is:  

•  Every child is different.  Do not compare-- not even twins.
•  Don't pressure or punish.  Just praise praise praise.
•  Listen to your instincts.  If you think something is wrong, consult your doctor.

And these concerned parents inevitably ask me how old my kids were and how long it took them.  

Did you read my advice?  It really depends on the child.  It really does.  

But still out of curiosity they want to know how long.  So I tell them this:

1-  took 1 1/2 years -- on the autism spectrum (but didn't know it at the time)-- started training at 2 years 

2- 10 days -- didn't start training until 3 years 2 months because she walked late and was too tiny to make it up the stairs fast enough

3- 1 1/2 years -- started too young (at 2) because I mistook his agreeable attitude for readiness.

4- 1 1/2 years -- anxiety issues started at 2 years 2 months and was pregnant with twins and then had them early which complicated things 

5- 7 days -- started training at 3 years 4 months -- I put it off because I didn't want to train twins.  But then it worked out great!

6- 10 days -- started training at 3 years 4 months -- ^^ his twin 

7- still working on it 😱-- has medical issues -- I also mistook her agreeable demeanor for readiness and tried to train her younger than 3.  (She's now 5 years 9 months.)

8- 5 months-- we waited until 3 1/2 years because we kept hoping older sister would "get it" and because she has some sensory processing issues -- and she is about 90% done with training and needs reminders to go before bed.

****************************************
So now you know.  Lots of praise and lots of prayers will get you through.

No comments: