Tuesday, October 07, 2008

WFMW- 3 easy baking tips


I recently made a truckload of caramel corn for the children in Primary at church. I promised them that if they could memorize all three verses of If the Savior Stood Beside Me, I would bring them homemade caramel corn. As I was baking I thought of a few things I do that make it go easier.

1. Brown sugar (Dark Brown C&H in case you were wondering)- Keep it in the bag in canister or in container. Measure in bag and use your hand (on outside of the bag) to squish it in tight. Then you have no need of a knife or spoon to pack the brown sugar in-- and you don't have sprinkles of brown sugar all over the counter. Keeping the brown sugar in the bag inside the container also helps it prevent lumps. It's not completely lump-proof method. But if you do get lumps or a giant brick of brown sugar...

2. Place a piece of bread in with your brown sugar. Somehow it transfers its softness to the sugar. I put the bread in at night and remove it in the morning to find soft brown sugar again. :)
3. Baking soda - keep on stove in case of grease fires while baking and then you'll know just where to find it. I learned the difference between baking soda and baking powder at a young age (like 7) because my mom kept her's on the stove as well.
Please feel free to share some easy baking tips you have. :)

15 comments:

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

bread in brown sugar, who knew?

I'll try it!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Hey Nikki, I wanted to respond to the flowery poop. My diaper geanie does not give off any scent or smell. It does help the poop smell. The smell gets contained inside the bad contraption. I am serious. The only "flowery" scent is when I spray Fabreeze in the room. Thanks for stopping by.

Also, thanks for the piece of bread in the brown sugar tip.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip to use the bread. I've been buying McKinneys "Stay Soft" for a while but it obviously has something unnatural added to stop it hardening. I'll try it your way.

Unknown said...

Great tip re: the bread! I hate when my Brown Sugar gets hard.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Great tips!! Bread in homemade cookies helps them to stay soft, too. :D

Happy WFMW!

Sherry

Zion said...

Great tips. I could have used that baking soda idea when I was a newly wed and set our kitchen on fire with a pan of grease ;)

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Hmmm....I might have to copy you with the baking soda on the stove thing. Great idea!
Carrie

Anonymous said...

Baking Soda on the stove is new to me. I'm glad to know, but hope I don't have to use it!

MediMonsters said...

Great tips!! TFS

Totallyscrappy said...

Nobody likes clumpy brown sugar! Great tip.

mom_of2boys said...

Great tips! I never knew about the baking soda.

Nikki said...

Great tips! I had forgotten about the bread in brown sugar so I am glad for the reminder.

lvs2dance said...

Great ideas! I would love to get your recipe for carmel corn...I love the stuff and love getting new recipes!

Ticklemedana said...

love both tips...I ALWAYS do the bread thing...and I keep bread in with homemade cookies to keep them moist, too...

Genny said...

Came over from Rocks in My Dryer. I love to bake...great tips!