What did I learn from last year's family trip?
- Take more water than we think we need.
- Travel at night.
- Bring Playaways for the oldest four kids.
2. Traveling at night means using less air conditioning. This means saving on gas. Here in the Golden State gas is $4 a gallon. Traveling at night in a 12-passenger van like Brutus (that's his name the kids gave him) over 800 miles, cutting back on the use of AC could save $100+.
What will be different on this year's trip?
- We have another child, almost 7-month old Peach.
- The twins, who are almost 22 months, are not rear-facing anymore. But maybe they should be for the trip so they can sleep better.
- No caffeine. Remember, I gave up caffeine right before Christmas?
Playpens. Just one playpen this year for Peach.
Music, not just this kind.
Magna Doodles and probably Magnetic Letters.
picture from this post.
...and maybe chew on a little.
Pre-rationed snacks in
ziploc bags. I'm thinking we'll probably use peanut butter containers this year since we have so many, and so the snacks don't get crushed.