Tuesday, June 16, 2009

WFMW-- Stuffed Potatoes

Yesterday, my good friend Denay blogged about the greatness of potatoes with some handy tips in her Kitchen Tips Tuesday edition. This reminded me of a yummy recipe I got from my Aunt Freda. I can't remember now if my aunt fixes up her potatoes exactly this way, but this is how we do it:

5 lb. bag of potatoes scrubbed and rinsed
8 oz. sour cream
1/2 lb. cooked bacon crumbled
1/2 cup chopped green onions
8 oz. cheddar cheese or Colby jack cheese grated

Bake the potatoes in a 350 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes. Let cool.

Cut potatoes down the middle.

Being careful not to tear the skins, scrape the insides of baked potatoes into a bowl. Scrape within 1/8-inch from skin. Set the skins aside on a bar pan (cookie sheet with edges).

In same bowl that the potato insides are in, dump the rest of the ingredients. Stir until well combined.

Spoon potato mixture bake into the skins.

Put the two halves of each potato back together and place on the bar pan.

Freeze until firm and place in individual baggies and altogether in a gallon-size Ziploc.

To serve: take stuffed potato out of freezer and nuke in microwave about 1 1/2 minutes.
This is a great recipe to add to your Once A Month Cooking plan. But sometimes, it's better if your family isn't home when you make them, and possibly doesn't know about these for a while after they're made. They seem to disappear fast.



P.S. The main appeal to this recipe, other than the yumminess factor, is that you can FREEZE them ahead of time. :)

7 comments:

Jen and Allen said...

Fast tip... if you dont have time to restuff just put the potato mixture in a 913 pan cover with cheese and then re bake until cheese melts. You can either toss the skins or just leave them on and they will get all mixed up in the bowl with everything else. It is what I do when I want that 2baked poetatoe tast but dont have the time. First time seeing your blog congrats on the new twins!

Julie Bagamary said...

Sounds yummy. I may try this to have ready for after church on Father's Day.

Julie Bagamary said...

I'm wondering if you forgot some type of milk to make them creamy and moist???

Ms. Leigh said...

Yummy! I haven't made these in forever!

Nikki said...

Julie-

The sour cream makes it's creamy and moist. But occasionally, if I have too much other ingredients like bacon, green onions, and cheese, then I might add a little milk.

Julie Bagamary said...

Thanks - I'm trying them today.

A. said...

How did I miss this?!

Funny enough, one of the things we cleared out of her freezer after she passed away was a bunch of these frozen loaded potatoes. lol (along with a bunch of other bulk ready made freezer items).

I'm so going to do this!
Thanks Nikki. :)