Saturday, October 06, 2007

Grandma Great's White Chili

Danny's father's mother is Grandma Great to the kids. And she is a wonderful resource for yummy recipes. This is one of our favorites from her. It's even less expensive to make if you prepare your own beans. It freezes well too.

5 chicken breasts cooked and cubed
3 tbsp. onion powder
9 cans Northern beans (approx. 14 oz. cans)
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
3 4-oz. cans green chilies drained (I recommend buying whole and then chopping them. The pre-chopped tend to have hard pieces.)
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
16 oz. sour cream
2 lbs. monterey jack cheese-- grated

Combine everything except sour cream & monterey jack cheese. Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer, and simmer 30 minutes. Add sour cream. Add monterey jack cheese & serve.

If you're going to freeze it, don't add sour cream & monterey jack cheese. Add those later when serving. You could grate the cheese and freeze it in a separate container from the chili. Don't freeze the sour cream though. ick.

We like to eat it with Fritos. I think it kinda has a chicken enchilada taste to it. If you don't like beans (or just want to see them suffer), click here. hehe

8 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

This looks really good, Nikki. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting it.

Big Morty said...

If you put in the cheese too early and let it simmer it tends to bond to the chicken and become extra chewy. It still tastes good though, possibly better since each mouthful takes so much longer to get down.

Marcy said...

yum! I have one like this that's always a hit, but it doesn't have cheese; it has whipping cream along with the sour cream.

Supercool Mom said...

Looks awesome - are Northern Beans white beans? And do you cook them the same as pinto beans? I'm embarrased to admit that I have white beans and pink beans in my food storage from the cannery, and I've NEVER used them.

Nikki said...

Hotmama-

Great Northern beans are white. And yes, you cook them the same as pinto beans. Isn't it funny the things we store and haven't used or don't know how to use? I had wheat a long time before I got a wheat grinder and learned to make bread. I have had beans for so long, that they were far too old to soften and cook. Fortunately beans are very cheap and are easy to replace. If you're going to soak and cook your own, about 1 cup of dried Great Northern beans makes 2 1/2 cups cooked.

i'm erin. said...

yummmm...white chili...tastes good...

Supercool Mom said...

Thanks Nikki - I'm gonna get soakin' and see how old these beans are! heehe

Haddorkus said...

I made those beans suffer, that was fun. How much time online do you spend to find this stuff? I am so glad I have you, because I don't have to do the searching, I let you do it for me, like Killer Bunnies. I have never in my life made bean from, do you say scratch? From a bag? I have only ever done it from a can all ready to go. We have no beans in our storge beacuse I don't know what to do with them. But you know me I am not a cook, when the end comes and Taco Bell burns and its time to use the storage I don't know what we will do.