Thursday, February 19, 2015

"There's no magic pill."

Since my doctor's appointment mid-November, I have been on a path to lose weight and get healthier.

This path started with me tracking everything I ate in My Fitness Pal app.  (I'm "Nikkiairforcewife" if you want to add me.)  I needed to know first of all my starting place.  Then I could improve.

Everyday that I didn't walk, I could hear my doctor's words in my head.

"You need to walk 3-5 times a week for 30 minutes.  You could walk out to a park 15 minutes away with your kids, let them play, and then walk back 15 minutes.  It doesn't have to be all at once.  You just need to get moving."

"There's no magic pill.  You know how to do this.  You need to eat less and exercise more."

"You're going to have diabetes and heart disease in no time if you don't work hard to get this weight off."

"It will be harder since your hysterectomy.  Those changes in hormones makes it more difficult to lose the weight.  But you can do this."

But still I couldn't find time in my week to walk more than one day.  In the first month I walked twice.  I was too busy homeschooling 8 kids, buying food for and feeding my family of 10, and sometimes keeping up with the laundry.

In the afternoons, when I wasn't as busy, I didn't have the energy.  I wanted a nap, not a walk.

I did drop a little weight just from keeping track and trying to avoid obvious bad choices like chips and ice cream.

May 4, 2014 I had to cut off my ring because none of the tricks worked to remove it and it was cutting off my circulation.  It was red and extra swollen here because of the techniques we were trying (like the dental floss trick).

To be continued...







No comments: