Sunday, September 15, 2013

No more wondering what's for dinner

 
I've never had a menu board before and I have seen several I like online. 
 
 
 
  I have been keeping an eye out for a large picture frame so I can make a menu board like this one from Chocolate on my Cranium that works particularly well for listing the whole week's meals, not just the dinners.  I think she used vinyl for it-- but you could easily make it with just printing on the paper under the glass.
 
For now, I have the following menu board. 
 
It cost me $1 to buy this picture frame from the local yard sale page.  I added some 4x6 pieces of scrapbook paper and wrote the days of the week on each one.  Put the frame back together, and wa-lah!
 
The kids were excited to give me menu ideas for their assigned days.  :)
 

4 comments:

Sara said...

I like it! I have a cute menu board that I love, but I don't use it nearly as much as I'd like. :( I plan dinner ahead of time, then change my mind the night of! You've inspired me to try and stick to it again. :)

Lisa said...

I think it's great! I made a monthly calendar using a huge frame I found on clearance at Hobby Lobby ($12! Yeah!) and we use wet-erase (Visa Vis) markers on it. We love it. It's such a fast and easy way to keep all our appointments straight, especially since we got rid of our cell phones. I also love noting that you eat pasta almost as much as we do. :D

Laurie HF said...

So the kids help make up the menus too? That is brilliant! That still is the hardest thing for me. I'm going to make Bryce choose half the days. :)

Nikki said...

Sara-
I think it's totally fine that you change your mind. I like to think of the menu as ideas. Otherwise dinnertime creeps up on us and Danny and I stare at each other blankly while a tribe of wild children gets hungrier and hungrier.

Lisa-
I LOVE the monthly calendar idea. I was actually considering using Vis-à-vis markers too as I was filling it in. We use them in homeschooling and like them much better than dry-erase.

Laurie- More mind power means less-starvation. ;) But sometimes I have to say, "No, Ramen noodles (or mac and cheese) is not something we should eat regularly." They are good to remind of us of variety.