Growing up in my family, my mom made cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate for breakfast every Christmas morning. I have carried that tradition over into my own family.
I've typed up the recipe for those not using a bread machine for the kneading and first rising. I recommend if you are making it for Christmas morning to follow the variation at the end. Prepare the rolls a night or two before and then pull out and bake Christmas morning.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Rising time: 90 minutes
Baking time: 18-20 minutes
1 package or 1 tablespoon active-dry yeast
1 cup milk, scalded and cooled
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups sifted all purpose-flour
1 egg, well beaten
1/4 cup (1/2 cube) butter or margarine, melted
4 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Mix yeast, cooled milk, shortening, water, sugar, and salt; let bubble.
2. Add 1 1/2 cups flour and egg to yeast mixture. Beat with electric mixer on low speed for 4 minutes. With wooden spoon beat in remaining flour. Let rise until double in bulk, about 45 minutes.
3. Roll out to about 1/2-inch thick.
4. Spread rolled-out dough first with melted butter or margarine, then ugar and cinnamon mixture.
5. Roll up, cut into about 15 rolls (dental floss cuts through dough the best). Set rolls in greased 9-by-13-inch pan. Let rise until double in bulk, about 45 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees (high-altitude 400 degrees). Bake for 18-20 minutes or until set and lightly golden.
7. REmove from oven. Remove from pans and cool slightly on cake racks. (NOTE: If rolls are left in baking pan they will become soggy.)
8. Mix topping ingredients until smooth; spread over baked rolls.
VARIATION: Overnight Cinnamon Rolls:
5. Using above recipe, continue after step #4. Roll up, cut into 15 rolls; set in greased 9-by-13-inch pan.
6. Wrap pan tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Refrigerate at least 12 hours, but no longer than 48 hours.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove foil from pan.
8. Bake until golden 30 to 35 minutes. Immediately remove from ans and cool on wire racks.
9. Mix topping ingredients ntil smooth; spread over baked rolls.