Sunday, May 29, 2011

Dust, vacuum, laundry, repeat.

My ENT put me on Prednisone for 10 days to reduce the swelling caused by allergies in my sinuses and nose and whatever else is in there behind my face.  My legs swelled like tree trunks and my face was rosy for about two weeks due to the Prednisone.  But I got my sense of smell back.

I had my allergy testing the next day and could start up my Allegra again (after it).  So far, I can still smell.  We're thinking the loss of smell was directly related to the allergies.

Which, by the way, cuz I know y'all are just dying to know what I'm allergic to, I'm gonna tell you.



Guinea Pigs (Charlie pic from Danny's blog.)


and two varieties of Dust Mites.
Dust mite picture.  Click on link for some itchy reading.

The horse hair was in the middle according to the test.  Positive allergy-- which would cause a reaction being near them.

The guinea pig result was at the top of the chart.  Makes sense.  Good thing Charlie has a new family now. 

And the results of the dust mites were clear off the charts.

 "Man girl!  You got some good ones!  You look like a leopard!" were the comments from one very nice lady who came in for some allergy shots.

So the ENT's assistant gave me some literature on ridding my home of dust mites.  And that has been on my to-do list ever since.  Wash sheets and bedding on hot weekly, dust weekly, vacuum weekly.  Get rid of knick-knacks. I'm not a knick-knack person. phew! Vacuuming at least weekly?  I can't imagine vacuuming only once a week.  The Cheerios and Goldfish would take over the dining room and spread beyond the living room completely disguising the oatmeal with raisins carpet.

3 comments:

Julie V. said...

who would have thought you were allergic to guinea pigs?!
Surely, those aren't your only allergies???

Nikki said...

Julie V.-- I know right?! I was like, "Um, what about lilies?" She told me they tested for the main trees, grasses and bushes in the area, indoor and outdoor mold, and common animal allergens. They didn't test any allergies to foods though. Their food allergy testing is done through blood work.

Nikki said...

P.S. And Danny said, "So you're not allergic to cats?" And I said, "No, but I have seven kids I can hardly keep up with. I don't need a cat right now."

I wonder if I outgrew that allergy. I remember having a positive allergy test to cats and also having itching eyes and sneezing from when we had one.