Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Whole wheat bread with oat flour

Dear Laurie,
This post is just for you.  It's an old post I updated to answer your oat flour questions.  Enjoy!
To make bread kits, read this similar post.

My Mom created this whole wheat bread recipe from a couple of her favorite recipes.
1 1/3 C. very warm water
1-3 T. vegetable oil like safflower oil or canola
3 1/3 C. whole wheat flour or 2 1/3 C. whole wheat flour + 1 C. *oat flour
1-4 T. non-fat dry milk (more = finer texture)
1/3 C. granulated sugar or ¼ C. honey
2 tsp. dough enhancer
3 T. gluten
1-1 ½ tsp. salt
1 T. yeast (if baking in oven) or 1 ½ - 2 tsp. yeast for baking in bread machine

Add all ingredients to bread machine in the order given.  Set on whole wheat bread and press start if baking in bread machine.

If you're going to mix in bread machine and bake in oven (my preferred method):

1. Add all ingredients to bread machine in the order given.

2. When baking in oven but using bread machine for kneading, set bread machine on dough only.

3. Spray, grease, or butter with unsalted butter the bread pan.

4. When bread machine is done, take dough out, punch down and form loaf in bread pan.

5. Cover and let rise in bread pan about 30 minutes. I like to cover with plastic wrap that has been greased with unsalted butter so it doesn't stick.

6. Cook for about 30 minutes in preheated 350 degree oven.

*oat flour = To make oat flour, just scoop a cup or so of rolled oats into your blender and blend until flour consistency.  If using in place of a flour like whole wheat, only replace about 1/3 of the wheat flour for oat flour.  You may have to increase the gluten.

Oat flour makes the loaf softer and last longer before going stale.

Unless you plan to refrigerate or freeze the oat flour, I recommend only grinding as much as you're using at the time.  Ground flours go rancid much faster than in their whole form (or partially whole form).

You can also use a coffee grinder to grind up rolled oats real fast.  Seeing as I don't drink coffee, the only thing I'd use it for would be grinding oatmeal.  And seeing as how my kitchen is limited in space and therefore I must choose my kitchen appliances carefully.






P.S.  This would work great for cinnamon raisin bread.

8 comments:

A. said...

Ok - I read your old post and it covers kits. Silly me. ignore my last post. :P
But I was still curious about the gluten. Why is it added to a gluten grain? To add more stability/make it less crumbley?

Nikki said...

It helps it rise just a bit more as well as not be so crumbly and dense.

Mike and Jen said...

Question 1) where can I buy gluten
Question 2) if you were giong to use your run of the meal all purpose flour would you do anything different and can you use the same measurements
Question 3) is this a specific recipe for just one loaf and what size pan do you use.
I am really excited to try your new recipe

Ticklemedana said...

I'm excited! now I just have to find that entry about making bread kits! =) I bought a bread machine at DI for $3 and have been dying to use it but haven't had a recipe to try! hooray

i'm erin. said...

Where the heck do you buy safflower oil? I have never even heard of the stuff.

SuperCoolMom said...

Ooh yum! I've been in the mood to bake bread and make some stew!

Jo said...

Ok, this is my recipe since I'm Mom. You need more gluten with Oats because they don't have any naturally. If you can't eat gluten, then you only can't eat oats because they're either grown around or shipped near or with wheat and pick up gluten that will affect you if you can't have the gluten. However, since they don't come with it naturally, then you have to add gluten to your recipe if you use oats. -- And for Erin, youc an buy safflower oil at most any grocery store for a higher price, and if you can't find it there go to a health food store. Mom

Jo said...

And, Good job Nikki with the recipes and suggestions! Mom