Sunday, July 27, 2008

My kids lick shiny things.

We have a rampant case of Rotavirus in our home. Pookie had it once when he was about 9 months old. We didn't know how contagious it was. He had an eye exam under anesthesia scheduled at the Primary Children's Hospital in Utah. He was prepped for the exam and the nurse was going over the patient history. When she asked how he was feeling over all I said something to the effect of, "I suspect a little unwell since he has Rotavirus giving him diarrhea." You would've thought I said Anthrax. They practically cleared out that wing of the hospital and shooed us quickly out the door.

When Gabbers was about a year, I caught her and Pookie crawling around the kitchen licking shiny things. I ushered them back out and toward the toys. When they licked the shiny metal trashcan that Danny's grandma gave us -- in no time they had Rotavirus. We took the trashcan to the curb for trash pickup and bought a boring plastic one.

We sold our dining table with the cushy chairs because the kids discovered they were shiny too.

I do not buy my children or especially my little princess mirrors because they would surely lick them.

But I cannot seem to convince the commissary to switch to plastic carts. Just last week I noticed Hammie anxiously engaged in the shininess of the cart and slobbering all over it.

Now my children have Rotavirus. My house smells like poop. I've wiped more than my share of bums for the year.



Kiddie Kwip
July 26, 2008: Bun went into the bathroom shortly after Pookie used it. He lifted the lid, did a full-body icky-shiver, and said, "Aack! Pookie's poop freaks me out."

I assure you Pookie flushed. But the toilet did require scrubbing after he used it.

8 comments:

Mrs. Morty said...

Oh Nikki, you're a hoot!
I'm pretty sure we've had Rotavirus at least once every place we've lived. The doctor was on the verge of hospitalizing Morty Jr. when he was about 9 month old because he was getting so dehydrated. Its nasty, nasty, nasty! Especially when the poop comes faster than the diaper can absorb. I feel your pain, I feel your pain.

Marcy said...

Ewwwww! Sending you sweetly-scented thoughts.

FluffyChicky said...

Your kids lick shiny things? How, uh, unique. :)
Hope the rotavirus makes its exit soon.

Susie J. said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iNv1UkWB2YM&feature=PlayList&p=AFC19D86CB626FF1&index=12

Watch the portion from 2:35-2:55.

RBS said...

Nikki,
They lick all things shiny or just disgusting things shiny? I don't know about that, I would walk around my house with sandpaper and de-shinify everything if I were you. Oh well there are worse things to be addicted to I suppose. I love to read your blog and keep up with the comings and goings of your little family. Have a great unshiny day.
Roxanne

Abbey said...

My house smells like poop too. Hehe.

The Schooley's said...

That was the best read. I would love to see Hamm do a full body shiver. That is hilarious!! Sorry about all the poopy bums though.

Haddorkus said...

It's one thing to have one licker in the house but how did you manage that gene mutation of all of them being shiny lickers?

I know every mom has had their own horror story of this particular illness. Punx was my worse. He got when we were in MS, we still refer to it as the sick place. It was where I got Viral Meningitis a couple months later. The student giving Punx, my 16 month old baby, the IV didn't put it in right and was just pumping fluids into his arm. He was screaming and I was yelling. It took some convincing for them to check it and wow it is wrong. They fixed it and I lectured them on never ignoring a mother.