Friday, September 14, 2007

Dead Bird

There's a dead bird in my front yard. I was minding my own business (not even thinking about the birds flying south for winter) while I was making oatmeal for the little people in the kitchen. When all of a sudden, I heard a thwump! I called out to the kiddies, "What was that?" fully expecting someone to tell me that Bun fell off the bench again. Pookie said, "I don't know. It hit the window and looked like a shadow." And then I knew. Because when we came back from Minnesota there was a dead bird in the back yard. It's about that time of year when birds who aren't as long-suffering as the others flying south give up the ghost by plummeting themselves into my windows.

It could be worse I suppose. I could have an algae problem in my toilets.

Aack holy crap jeepers! Just as I was about to hit "Publish Post" the kids start saying, "Birdies are landing. Whoa! Lots of birdies. Look Mommy!" It's like a scene from The Birds outside my front window now. Maybe they've gathered in memorium of the kamikaze bird. Still ew.

4 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

fabulous quilt! what a keepsake and i am with you on preserving it from the spit up.

Supercool Mom said...

Wow, that reminds me of one sunday when I was visiting my MIL in CT - we were sitting in RS when suddenly hundreds (literally hundreds!)of birds were swooping down outside the windows, landing on the grass, and flying around the building. It was truly bizarrrrrrre, especially since nothing like that ever happens in AZ.

Oops, I could have split that up into about 18 comments (hmmmm, you'd better do 50 situps for that one! =)

p.s. you are evil.

A. said...

The last part of the post is the best. The gathering of birds. lol! thanks for the laugh!

Haddorkus said...

The kids once found a dead bird in our communal playground on post at Fort Lee, last post. All the neighborhood kids got together for a funeral. They got a brick for a headstone on which they put Chad Jack Sparrow. And to adorn the gravesite the stile another neighbors daffadils. Good times.