Saturday, February 17, 2007

Recipe of the Week

2/19/07 note: I made this recipe today and a few ingredient amounts are not ideal.

The broccoli should be 14-16 cups
and the dressing amounts are a little heavy. Here is a better dressing ratio:

3 T. Red Wine Vinegar
1 ½ cups mayonnaise
1/3 cup granulated sugar


This recipe is not freezer worthy. It’s yummy, nonetheless, and perfect for luncheons, barbecues, receptions, showers, and cravings in the night. And I thought I’d share it with you. It’s taken from a couple different recipes that I have tried for broccoli salad and I’ve enhanced it with ingredients in portions we like in a generous size recipe.

Nikki’s Big Bowl Broccoli Salad

Salad Ingredients:
10-12 cups (uncooked) Broccoli in bite-size pieces
½ to ¾ cup red onion, chopped
½ lb. cheddar cheese or Colby jack in small cubes
1 cup golden raisins
½ cup sunflower seeds (unsalted is best but harder to find)
1 lb. bacon, cut up and fried

Dressing ingredients:
¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
2 cups Hellman’s Mayonnaise (Best Food’s west of the Rockies)
½ cup granulated sugar

PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients except mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, and sugar until smooth. Pour over broccoli mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours (if you’re patient and don’t want to scarf it down room temperature like I would).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just made 2 loaves of my very yummiest home-made bread, about 2/3 white whole wheat and 1/3 oats. Then with most of the bread that I sliced up with my electric knife, leaving less than 1/2 loaf, I made 13 peanut butter and honey sandwiches and put 12 in the freezer, and one in the 'fridge for tomorrow's lunch. Thought you should get the credit for the great idea about freezing PB&H sandwiches. Mom