Saturday, February 24, 2007

OAMC tip and recipes of the week: Freezer Desserts

If you plan to have desserts, snacks, and treats in advance, ready-to-go in your freezer, you can save A LOT of money. Muffins, brownies, popsicles, ice cream cakes, coffee cakes, cupcakes, cake box cookies and cookies made from scratch or produced in bulk, are a fraction of the cost of foods purchased in the freezer aisle at the grocery store. And if you have it ready and waiting in your freezer, you’ll be ready for last minute guests or cravings or begging children and you won’t be victim to whatever price the grocery store is asking. Or if you’re expecting to serve up a bunch of goodies for a party or get-together, you can have them prepared weeks in advance.

Frozen Apple Coffee Cake
I got this recipe from a lady in our ward, who got it from someone else, who got it from someone else. So, I don’t know quite who to credit for it.

Cake:
½ cup margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
2 cups apple, chopped

Topping:
¼ cup margarine
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 ½ cups brown sugar
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Using cake ingredients, cream the margarine, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients, then sour cream. Fold in apples. Put in two 8-inch greased round cake pans (disposable). For topping, cut margarine into brown sugar and cinnamon; add nuts. Put on top of unbaked cakes. Cover with foil and freeze. Bake from frozen, uncovered at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.

Frozen Yogurt Pops
Copyright ©1996 My Mom’s Recipes

Yields about 13 frozen popsicle treats.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Freezing time: 6 hours or overnight

One 3-ounce package flavored gelatin
½ cup boiling water
2 cups plain yogurt, unsweetened
2 cups fruit puree (your choice)

1. Dissolve gelatin in boiling water.
2. Mix all ingredients together.
3. Spoon into 3-ounce freezer-pop containers.
4. Freeze 6 hours or overnight before serving.

This recipe my mom created and would serve to us when we were growing up. I fondly remember peach-mango yogurt pops even as far back as four years old—so creamy and refreshing! They were the perfect healthy treat for a hot summer day. Now my children look forward to them and they also really enjoy strawberry banana yogurt pops and orange cream yogurt pops. When we do the orange cream yogurt pops we use orange juice concentrate for the fruit puree.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all your recipes! I made the cake box cookies (cake mix cookies?)(I can't remember what their called), and they were so great, so easy, and so delicious! I made them quickly after having unexpected guests too. Good for me! You are such a wiz in the kitchen!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm.... dessert.

momanna98 said...

Thanks! I can't wait to try those yogurt pops!

gurrbonzo said...

WOW. It kind of freaks me out how much you know about everything. Last week was my brother's birthday and my mom remembered how a long time ago I planned a surprise party for him and you came over and saved the day bc you knew all the fun games. Moral of the story: you are awesome and you pretty much KNOW EVERYTHING and I love it.

Nikki said...

Gurrbonzo-
I totally remember that birthday party. I think I ran into you or your mom or both of you at the mall in ZCMI and we talked about it. I can't remember which friend was with me- JoAnn or Alecia, but by the time we got home, we had a whole bunch of games planned out in our head. It was an easy party group to please though. They thought anything we thought of was cool. hehe.

And I don't know everything. I don't know squat about cars.