Thursday, September 14, 2006

And since there's no place to go . . .

Today is expected to reach 80 degrees. I took June for a walk with all three kids yesterday morning. That was an adventure. The day before, we went out and bought G and Pookie bicycles with training wheels. We felt like it was summer again--or still? I watered the lawn and the garden. We harvested tomatoes that survived last week’s frost. I was thinking, “This isn’t so bad. We’ll just take it one day at a time and enjoy the ever-changing seasons.” The commander’s wife in Danny’s squadron lives by the saying, “I bloom where I’m planted.” Or something like that. I really like that though, “I bloom where I’m planted.” I think it’s especially relevant to living in the Air Force.

Now this morning Danny tells me, “This weekend is supposed to have a high of 40 and some parts of the state will get snow.” Hmm . . . So now I’m pulling out the Halloween decorations and embracing the change. When Danny takes down the air conditioners I’ll have him put up the white Christmas lights. The kids are saying, “Snow? I want to play in the snow.” So maybe I’ll also pull out snowsuits, gloves, hats, scarves, coats, emergency snow car survival kits, snow shovels, sleds, long underwear, thermal socks, and I’ll unroll the rugs. Then I’ll update the 72-hour kits to have winter clothes. After that I’ll probably start to plan my freezer meals and plan winter safety lessons for the kids.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so there with you. The high temperature on Tuesday here was in the 80's. Today, high of 50. Where is the in-between? (as I'm shaking my fist at the sky.) I love fall, but rarely get to experience it. Bummer.

Leslie said...

Crazy weather. I'm telling you - you must move to WA.

lizbit said...

I thought, the other day as I contemplated the snow and hail that had fallen the night before, whatever happened to fall? You know, that nice season between summer and winter . . . sounds like both Utah and North Dakota have misplaced it somewhere.