Monday, February 08, 2016

$1.29/dozen whole-wheat pancakes

Making your own whole wheat pancakes is tasty and doesn't cost much.  

This is my mom's recipe.  I grew up with these yummy pancakes.  :)


Whole wheat pancakes will keep you satisfied a lot longer than the refined flour alternative.  You can refrigerate or freeze any leftovers.  

It cost me $1.18 for one batch following the recipe.  Admittedly, I grind my own whole-wheat flour.  

Store bought whole-wheat flour brings the cost up to $1.29/batch.  (If you use the cheap baking powder, it will be even less expensive.)



Today I quadrupled the recipe and made them with vanilla protein powder from Costco.  I also added cinnamon and cloves.  I was low on milk, so I used unsweetened cashew milk.

Even with my more costly substitutions and additions, it still came out to $1.96/batch of 12.  That's 16 cents per pancake.  

They're very filling.  But sometimes, we add mix-ins.

vanilla protein powder
cinnamon
nutmeg
ginger 
cloves
bananas
chopped walnuts or pecans 
oats 
coconut 
blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Try them and let me know how you like them!

No comments: