This recipe is just like yesterday's recipe for the 1 3/4 lb. honey oat whole wheat that is dairy-free and egg-free with an option to make it oil-free.
The difference is, this recipe is written for just one loaf.
1 1/3 cups of very warm water
1 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp ground flax seed
1 to 1 1/2 tsp chia seeds
1/3 cup rolled oats (quick is fine too)
2 tbsp oil (we like coconut oil) OR 2 tbsp of applesauce
1/3 cup granulated sugar OR 1/4 cup honey (we use raw honey)
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp gluten
3 cups whole wheat flour
1. In a mixing bowl, add very warm water (110°F), yeast, ground flax seed, chia seeds, and rolled oats.
2. Add oil (or applesauce), sugar (or honey) and salt and give just a swish or two around with a wooden spoon. Let this mixture sit for 5-8 minutes so the yeast can activate.
3. Add 3 tbsp gluten and while the mixer is going on low-medium, add 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour. Don't scoop it. Use another scoop to lightly fill the measuring cup. Level it off with straight edge of knife.
4. Beat with mixer (or wooden spoon) for 7-8 minutes.
5. With a wooden spoon, beat in the remaining 1 1/2 cups of flour one-half cup at a time.
6. Turn out dough onto floured surface and knead for 8 minutes by hand.
7. Shape into loaf and place in a well-greased loaf pan.
8. Cover and let rise 1 hour minus oven preheating time. I rise 50 minutes, turn on the oven, and 10 minutes later it's perfect to go in.
9. Bake 30-35 minutes at 350°F.
10. Thump the bottom of the baked loaf to see if it's done. It should have a hollow sound. Butter the top of loaf if desired.
11. Let cool 1-2 hours before slicing.
UPDATE: If you have a bread machine, I highly recommend using it to knead your bread and do its first rise.
Just dump all the ingredients in and press dough setting.
When it is done, form into loaf-shape and put in greased pan. Let rise 30 minutes covered. Bake 30-35 minutes at 350°F.
Cool on cooling rack out of pan.