Monday, September 02, 2013

When life hands you 50+ pounds of tomatoes...

I was very fortunate to receive about 50+ lbs of tomatoes this week.  I also have several bell peppers and jalapeños and various other produce.  

So even though it's unseasonably warm this week, I can't let a gift like this go bad.  Today I cooked a little over 16 quarts of tomato sauce.  I have 7 quarts in the pressure canner right now.  

I'm so tired.  I think the heat of the day just zapped my energy.  Tomorrow I hope to get an early start before the day heats up.  I plan to use the other half of the tomatoes with some of this tomato sauce to make and can spaghetti sauce.  I feel like the busy ants preparing all summer for a long cold winter.  Not that it gets that cold on the west coast...

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Looks yummy! My tomatoes are coming on so prolifically that, even though I just did quarts of tomatoes and spaghetti sauce, I want to do salsa this week. I, too, feel like we're squirrels hiding nuts up in a tree for the whole winter. It's exciting!

Laurie HF said...

I read a book once that called this time of year the "season of the stomach." I love the feeling of putting full jars on shelves.