Friday, November 30, 2012

Grandma Kahn's Perfect Roast Beef

I never met my mother's mother, but her recipes are dear to my heart.  I am thankful for all she learned and passed down to my mother who passed on to me.

This roast beef recipe has NEVER failed me.  It is simple and works great with a cheap cut of meat like chuck roast.

Preparation time:  5 minutes
Baking time:  4 to 5 hours

3 1/2 to 5 pound beef roast, any cut

1.  Preheat oven to 500 degrees (525 to 550 for high-altitude). 

2.  Rub roast with paper towels to clean; place in an UNCOVERED baking dish.  Place in preheated oven for 5 minutes per pound; with a minimum of 15 minutes and a maximum of 30 minutes total.

3.  Immediately reduce heat to 170 degrees (190 high-altitude); cover dish completely with lid or foil.  (NOTE:  If you desire rare roast (pink in the middle), reduce temperature to 150 degrees [high-altitude 175].)
(NOTE:  NEVER cook any lower than 145 degrees (high-altitude 170 degrees), this is too low a temperature to keep bacteria from reproducing.)

4.  Bake for 4 to 5 hours.  (NOTE:  If you have a larger roast, cook it longer.  If you have a smaller roast, cook a shorter time.  IF your roast is too tender, lessen the time for the next roast;  if not tender enough, lengthen the time.)

No comments: