Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Popping thru with a V-day wish for you!

I had so much fun filling and decorating these Valentine's cans for a few teachers and friends.

 I wish I could make more-- but you can only eat so much pineapple!  From now on, I'm opening all pull-tab fruit cans from the bottom (with the smooth-edge can opener) and washing them out and saving them for future crafts.
My scrapbook paper wasn't all that Valentiny or very pink or red for that matter, but I think the label and ribbons brought the look together.

Have a great Valentine's Day my friends!

Here is the tutorial I followed.  But I used this smooth-edge can opener for a nicer finish on the bottom.  I printed the label from this post.

I filled the cans with an assortment of chocolate candies and used pink tissue paper before closing them so the hot glue wouldn't stick to any candy. So right side up they'll open them and see candy with tissue paper in the bottom. Who doesn't love candy?!

4 comments:

i'm erin. said...

Wow, that's really cute. I don't quite get the bottom though, how do you re-seal it? Let me know. You should've told me to make these. I think I got lame-o gives from walmart.

Nikki said...

Erin-

I used a smooth-edge can opener from Pampered Chef to open the bottom of the can (where the pull-tab is not). Then after stuffing with candy, I put in a little tissue paper stuffed it in, and a thin line of hot glue all around the inside edge of the can. Then I pushed the lid back on. It was really easy!

I might make a tutorial. I think Hammy wants pineapple for snack anyway.

tina said...

cute, cute!!! i'll have to remember those for something.

Susie J. said...

I knew I needed a smooth-edge can opener for some reason... now I have an excuse to get one. :)