Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My weight loss journey

As you can see on my ticker, I've lost 12 lbs.  These 12 pounds have come off a lot faster than I anticipated and planned.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE seeing the scale drop lower every single day.  But I suspect it's affecting my metabolism, and I don't want a paralyzed metabolism.

I'm not starving.  I never feel hungry.  I have been eating between 2100-2300 calories a day.  I'm also nursing exclusively Baby Peach.  So that makes it like I'm eating 1800ish calories a day. 

I'm drinking 12-14 glasses of water a day (8 oz. glasses).

I'm keeping my sodium within the 2500 mg recommendation.  And the weight is falling off.

I've been listening to an awesome Podcast called Fat2Fit Radio.  Have you heard of it?  It's a free show and there's also a website to read about their advice and experiences.  It's educational and motivational and sensible.

Now, like I've mentioned previously, I would love to be a size 6 jeans right now, but I want to do this right.  I want to make a permanent change.  I don't want to worry about my metabolism slowing down thinking my body is in starvation mode.

After calculating my Basal Metabolic Rate and my goal body weight, I've changed my goal weight slightly to be 7 lbs. heavier than I thought it should be.  So I only have to lose a total of 78 lbs. instead of 85 lbs.  Which means 66 lbs. to go!

As far as not indulging in emotional eating, I've been talking a lot to my sister who is also using MFP (myfitnesspal.com) and to Danny, of course.  Talk, talk, talk and then there's less eating and guilt.

So, my plan for keeping my metabolism in check is to up my daily calories.  The new plan is 2700 calories.  We'll see how I feel about that in a week.

Thanks for listening.  Feel free to give your own two cents or ask questions.  :P

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I think you're doing it right. Of course, pay attention to your body and listen to the advice of nutrition experts. But do realize that most people lose that first 5-20 pounds rather easily--which is why fad diets take off so fast. You see instant results and say, "aha! I've done it!" The challenge then becomes to continue the weight loss, and then maintain it. If you're going by a low calorie + exercise plan, you should be good to go. If you're trying some crazy cabbage soup or mega-low calorie diet, then you're probably sabotaging yourself. Slowly reducing your calories is a very smart idea. Allow your stomach time to shrink so you won't feel hungry. And then learn all kinds of amazing recipes and options that allow you to still be YOU, without being unhealthy. This will help you maintain the weight loss once it is gone.

Sara said...

Go Nikki!

I agree with Lisa, I think you've got a great plan going! Just think to yourself, "Can I maintain this diet and exercise plan for the next 10 years?" If the answer is yes, then you're doing it right! :)