Followers

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Obviously I'm a liar. Alternate title: My name's Nikki. I'm addicted to blogging. Alt. title 2: I love energy savings and money savings.

Dear Friends,

I miss you. It has been a long three days without talking to you. Do you know how difficult this is for me? Just ask Danny. I talk his ear off the moment he steps in the door until I am convinced that he really is asleep and not just faking it.  I love him.  He bought me a hamlet this morning because it's my birthday week.  :)  Anyways, maybe you shouldn't believe me when I say that I'm not going to be blogging for a week.  Remember Pookie's Ultimate Star Wars Party?  That busy week brought on a multitude of posts encouraged by procrastinating.

I missed participating in WFMW.  I did spy on several of yours. I even linked my baby wipe tutorial-- even if it was a re-run.

So why am I back so soon? Tomorrow is Friday. Frugal Friday. And my frugal tip is Microsoft Hohm.

Microsoft Hohm contacted me to review their site that is chuck full of Energy saving tips.  What? You want me to review a site that gives FREE tips on saving money with my home appliances and home energy?  Heck ya!  I ♥ sites like these. 

I wasn't going to let the opportunity pass me by.  That's why I'm back before my previously promised date of Monday.

This is Percival.  I made him.  You can use his cuteness too.  But don't pretend you made him.  I DID.  and it took an insanely long time.  Percival motivates me to look for ways to pinch pennies.



So, I like to be frugal and I like to be earth-conscious too. Ching. A match made in heaven.

This Microsoft Hohm site, that I now have saved to my favorites, has a plethora of graphs and calculators showing how much you spend and how much you can save.

It also, for the busy mom who doesn’t always have time to sit down and read through an entire new site, has easy-reference type pages to give you some quick tips you can start implementing in your home.

Some tips that weren’t new to me: switch from incandescent bulbs to compact fluorescents. We started buying the compact fluorescent bulbs (you know, the swirly ones) when we lived in the frozen north. We had a couple of light fixtures that ate light bulbs for breakfast. I was so tired of buying new bulbs and changing them out. These higher efficiency bulbs had like a five year money back guarantee on them. And darn it all! I should’ve taken them with me when I moved. They were still going strong!

One thing Danny is always saying, and I remember my dad saying growing up, “If you’re not in a room, turn off the lights!” There may have also been “Money don’t grow on trees!” and “Do you think I’m made of money?!”

I am recommitted to using a clothesline or drying rack for my cloth diapers. I regularly use a drying rack for my clothing to prolong its life.  I'm going to start turning down the heater 5° at night. 

I disclose that if you visit Microsoft Hohm for yourself, you may not have the same experience as me. You may end up saving even more money. You see, right now, living on base, I do not pay my own utility bills. I do, however, want there to be a nice environment with a gracious ozone layer for my children and grandchildren in the future. And one day, maybe sooner than later, I will have my own home. Then I will be able to implement even more of these tips to save me money.

Go check it out for yourself. You won’t regret it.






This post is linked to Thrifty Thursday, Thifty Thursday at Bloggeritaville, and Frugalicious Friday.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Dear Nikki,

I missed you too. :)

Happy birthday coming up. This will be the first of many comments saying that. I have to get you back for my birthday. ha ha ha.

We switched completely to compact fluorescent and it has been fantastic--we haven't had to change a lightbulb since! before that it was a weekly basis that somewhere in our house needed it. We were able to find packages of the fluorescents at Sam's Club in 8 or 10 packs for 2-5 dollars, which makes them even cheaper than incandescents to begin with...wow! it was definitely a great choice.

Mom2fur said...

It sounds like a fun site!
Percival is cute--"Percival the Penny-wise Pig!" That should be his full, official title.
BTW, when you said your husband got you a hamlet, I honestly thought you got a baby pig. Seriously!

shopannies said...

Happy birthday to you a bit early your post was very useful thanks

Nikki said...

Lisa- That is a fantastic price on fluorescent bulbs!

Mom2fur- Percival's official title is Percival the Penny-Pinching Pig. But I like your suggestion much better. Penny-wise sounds nicer than penny-pinching which has a negative tone to it. It's official. I'll get working on his birth certificate.

And a baby pig?! hehehe. I would love to have animals like pigs, chickens, and a cow. Well, mostly the chickens and cow. But I hear pigs are very smart animals. If you click the hamlet link in my post, you can read Danny's experience with buying one last week. hilarious.

shopannies- Thank you for the birthday wishes! I'm glad you found it useful. :)

Laurie/Mom/Grandma said...

Happy Birthday Nikki! Hope it's a great one. So, what day is actually your birthday?

MaddieLynn said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It's my birthday too!

A. said...

Happy Birthday Nikki! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Kim said...

My blogging break was supposed to be 2 weeks. I caved and couldn't handle it. I was back within 4 days. Yes, I know...I am weak. At least you are too. :-) LOL!

Cheeseboy said...

My wife has trained me not only to turn off the lights, but to UNPLUG things when we are not using them (not sure if this actually makes a difference, but I do it anyway)

If I am home alone and there is a light on in another room, I just can't handle it being on. I am too well trained, I guess.

Great blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...