Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A link that will help the misunderstood


I seriously considered labeling this post, "Stop Judging me and Read This." I found this article through a link on Connie's blog Smockity Frocks. It is so well-written that I won't even try to paraphrase it. But as a homeschooling mother, I wanted to post a link here and share it with you. How To (and Not To) Treat Your Homeschooler

I originally clicked on it thinking it was about the students not the teacher. lol But I'm so glad that I did click on it. A very good read indeed.
NOTE: In response to the comment from "anonymous", I don't judge non-homeschoolers. I think homeschooling is the right choice for our family right now. That may change from year to year or school to school. I have had a very good public schooling experience myself, and I know of many that do. We have our own personal needs that I believe are being met best right now through homeschooling. I thought this article was a very good read. It doesn't mean I agree 100% with what they said or with everything this person that wrote it believes.

5 comments:

SuperCoolMom said...

Great article! I know lots of homeschoolers who would say a hearty Amen to that!

Susie J. said...

Great link!! I've got a couple of friends who are going to love this.

Anonymous said...

sounds a bit self righteous to me. If you don't want to be judged by non-homeschoolers, maybe you shouldn't judge them. For the record, I think any parent who takes it on is amazing.

jvjw said...

I think it is a very well-written article...as a former homeschooling Mom (kids grown now)..I know exactly how she feels. The biggest argument people gave me for putting my kids in public school was for "socialization"..and the thing I was MOST worried about (and have had the most trouble with) at public schools are the social issues. Nothing can beat a loving family. School classrooms do NOT prepare children for the real world! Kudos to you and your awesome home-schooled children. Hang in there and don't worry about the criticisms.

Tara H. said...

You are awesome! Teaching your kids at home takes so much organization and dedication. I for one am jealous, because I don't have enough of either to even attempt to teach my kids at home. So I do the next best thing and send them to a Charter school, where there is one grade per class and only 15 students per class. Many of the teachers, students, and staff are LDS and it works for us. The cartoon is hilarious and totally true. I wish I could shelter my kids more from this crazy world. But we do the best we can with what we got, and give the rest to the Lord. Life is great!