Thursday, April 17, 2008

a crumby post indeed

I've been saving crumbs lately. See we save our cereal bags. They're really good for lots of things. But as I was throwing away a bag from the Cheez-It box, I thought, I should save this. It's just like a cereal bag. Then I was just about to shake out the crumbs and save it, I thought, I should save these cheesy crumbs. They would be really good topping for Hashbrown Casserole. So, I kept the crumbs in the bag, rolled down the top and clipped it to the front of my refrigerator. When the goldfish crackers were all gone, I added their crumbs to the bag as well. This week when I made Hashbrown Casserole, I added these crumbs to the topping, and YUM!

Now I wouldn't recommend saving them so long that they go rancid. That would be gross. I have a very keen nose and my nose knows when something has passed on to the other life. Train your nose for rancidness. Do not become victim to rancid food. ew.

So, any ideas of what I could use cereal crumbs for? I'm pretty sure we go through 27 boxes of Multi-Grain Cheerios per week. And my kids aren't fond of crumbs in their cereal bowl. Do share.

13 comments:

Ms. Leigh said...

perhaps kind like granola or something on yogurt or applesauce??

Richelle said...

That's a good idea for the cracker crumbs.
Use cereal crumbs to bread chicken. I've used corn flakes (obviously, since that is what is usually called for), but anything like cornflakes would work. I've used honey bunches of oats. I also used crumbs from frosted mini-wheats. It made it a little sweet, but it tasted good!

MaryRuth said...

maybe you could mix it with marshmallow's and butter and make a rice krispy treat of sort.

Ticklemedana said...

or make them part of the crumb topping in an apple or peach crisp dessert?

SuperCoolMom said...

Mmm, I was thinking breading for chicken too. Or, I just got a recipe for "Fried Icecream" (no frying necessary, just a crispy, flake mixture under and over icecream). I'll post it on supercoolmomsrecipes dot blogspot dot com.

SuperCoolMom said...

Oh, and GREAT idea for the cheesy cracker crumbs! YUM!

Rach said...

Ok, so what about using the crumbs for chicken. Like people crunch up cornflakes, maybe cheerios could be a good toppings.

The Schooley's said...

I love reading your posts. You are awesome!!

Haddorkus said...

Do you mean like the cereal dust? I am sorry, Nikki, I think this is beyond frugal and into some sort of mania. Cereal dust is so grossy. I know what you can do with it. Ensure that it doesn't get into your kids cereal bowl and make that nasty paste with their milk and then throw it away. I love you and your manic saving, I just am not saving cereal dust to save money. Yuck.

Anonymous said...

I got nothing for the crumbs. Sorry. But I did want to say that I'm loving your signature at the end of your posts. So cute! I know, it's true, I'm a little flaky.

Abbey said...

I was going to say add them into your rice crispy treats, but I see someone already beat me to it.
Have fun with your crumbs....personally I like them in my cereal. I guess I'm a little weird.

FluffyChicky said...

I, uh, third the idea of making them into some sort of cheerio crispy treat.

That is a very interesting thing to do with the crumbs...I might have to be brave and try it sometime.

i'm erin. said...

ok, so all I could come up with is...Maybe you are too cheap to go and buy your kids some pet mice or rats. trail your cereal crumbs from one end of the house to another leading to one specific spot. Then and there pounce on the vermin and make them your newly acquired FREE pet!