Wednesday, July 11, 2007

WFMW-- tried and true recipes

When Danny and I first got married, I was very hesitant to try any new recipes. I had taken Home Economics in middle school and Cooking in high school and even though I grew up with a mom that was a gourmet chef and baker, I didn't want to try a recipe that might fail. I decided I would only try something new to me if my mom or older sister had already tried and had success with. Not long after that decision I realized the value of The Joy of Cooking and My Mom's Recipe Book. I read The Joy of Cooking from cover to cover when I was pregnant with my first child. I visualized the ingredients in order and the amounts as I read each recipe. I tried several dozen recipes with success and some with less than desirable results. Danny was graciously accepting of anything I put in front of him-- most of the time.

My WFMW tip today is, try recipes that someone can already vouch for that don't have a bazillion weird ingredients you don't even recognize. Here's a great and easy one for you from My Mom's Recipe Book. It's copyrighted so don't sell it or enter it in any contests. You can use it to hook your dream-catch though.

Fresh Strawberry Pie

1 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
one 3-ounce package strawberry gelatin
2 pints strawberries
1 cup ice water
two 9-inch baked pastry shells
Cool Whip or whipped cream

1. In medium-large saucepan mix sugar, salt, and cornstarch. Gradually mix in 1 cup water.
2. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in gelatin until dissolved.
4. Mash enough berries to measure 1 cup (about 1/2 total berries); stir into gelatin mixture. Stir in 1 cup ice water. Cool mixture 5 minutes.
5. Slice remaining berries; stir into cooled mixture.
6. Chill in refrigerator until mixture begins to soft-set.
7. Pour berry mixture into pie shells. Chill until set, about 3 hours.
8. Top with Cool Whip or whipped cream.

For more Works-for-me-Wednesday tips visit Shannon's blog by clicking RIGHT HERE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe Nikki...I can't wait to try it. It looked so good when you posted it the other day.