Monday, December 04, 2006

Monday Mumblings

Danny and I decided last night that it would be time-efficient to read scriptures as a family during breakfast in the morning. Then we decided the best time for that would be 6:45 a.m. and that the children should not come to the table in their pajamas. We neglected to remember that we don’t have a nanny, Bun can’t dress himself, and I’m exhausted being three months pregnant. But I was able to drag my body out of bed and into the shower by 6:20 a.m., blow-dry my hair (so it wouldn’t freeze and fall off my head), get dressed to shoes, then strip the bed and put the sheets in the washer, empty the dishwasher, pray as a family, feed the children, get the Christmas cards out to address, and collapse on the couch with my Cuddle-Bun by 7:45 a.m. I lost consciousness around 8 a.m. and woke up at 9 a.m. (with my Cuddle-Bun still cuddling) to a phone call from the commander’s wife asking me to bake 3-5 dozen cookies today for the airmen cookie drive. Thank goodness for Leslie’s sister-in-law’s Snickerdoodle recipe.

Now I feel like Zombie-Mommy. I switched the laundry, got out three cubes of butter for the cookies (which will probably freeze in the cool of the kitchen), and am debating on skipping preschooling the kids today or doing it this afternoon after naps. Danny went out on alert this morning and I need to woo my children (with lots of books and activities) so they’ll sleep peacefully for me tonight.

And I still need a new freezer.

7 comments:

lizbit said...

*contemplates actually getting up and doing things in the morning* I woke up at 5:50 this morning, but I didn't drag myself out of bed until six . . . then, after getting a drink of juice, organizing my bag for the day, and taking some clothes out of my chest, I promptly went back to bed until five minutes before I had to leave for class. I am so grateful I live on campus! *sends a silent thank-you to the kind parents who pay for her housing*

Leslie said...

You are a crazy super-mom! I would have told that lady no way cause I'm not a special order bakery that churns out cookie orders in less than 24 hours. Okay, I would have wanted to say that at least. I think that insane though - calling someone to make cookies with so little notice.
But at least you'll get to eat some - yum!

A. said...

"(so it wouldn’t freeze and fall off my head)" - Hands down, the best part of that post. HAHAHAHA! You should try it some time as a science experiment during a science day of preschooling. :P
On a more serious note - you are by far still the supermom I admire and aspire to most. ((hugs))

gurrbonzo said...

NIKKI. bwahahah! i feel like i just stumbled upon a treasure trove in finding your blog. you are hilarious. i am going to go read all your old stuff and giggle at the great pics. i am a little overwhelmed that you have multiple children (ever-increasing in number) but man they are CUTE. good work!

gurrbonzo said...

p.s. you can imagine my surprise and delight when i went to my family's house this evening and saw a beautiful bucket of cleaning supplies. cleanliness IS next to godliness. what a treat! thank you! you're telling me "zombie mommy" with 3.5 children has time to do champion things like give wedding gifts to randoms on the side? nikki for president!!

Nikki said...

Kathleen, you're the greatest! I just wish I could've given it in person. The night I tried to deliver it to your mom's no one was home-- so my mom had to deliver it for me. I wasn't sure your style in decorating or colors, so I settled on a practical gift every newlywed could use. And I figured if you already had those items, you'd use them up and need more eventually.

MaryRuth said...

Wow. I want to be just like you when i grow up but it sounds exhausting. :)

I want Leslie's Sis-in-law's cookie recipe!